Last week on Tuesday Susan left for Geneva, Switzerland to attend training with her work. I was able to join her there on Thursday afternoon through the weekend. This was my first experience with the wonderful world of discount travel in Europe. I booked a ticket with EasyJet, one of the leading discount airlines. I don’t have any horror stories, but it definitely was a different experience than what I am used to. The tickets are cheap, but you have to pay for everything else . You have to pay to check bags (which you know in advance) so I sent some stuff with Susan so I could take our small suitcase and bring it on the plane. That didn’t work, they have employees stationed at check in to inspect every bag to make sure it fits “comfortably” in the sizing bin otherwise you have to check it. The wheels stick out on our small suitcase about an inch too far so I had to check it. Then boarding is a mad dash as everyone tries to get on first since there are not assigned seats. You can pay extra to get priority boarding and be with the first group on the plane. Once I finally got on the plane, everyone sits in the aisle seat hoping to deter anyone from entering their row so incase the plane isn’t full, they can have the whole row to themselves. Both of my flights were almost totally full, but I think that most people don’t want to sit by me because I’m so big because on both flights the seat next to me was left open. Doesn’t bother me at all though!
As I said before I joined Susan in Geneva on Thursday afternoon and arrived just a bit before she was done with her training for the day. Thursday evening we were able to enjoy a work sponsored dinner for all the US expatriates who were attending training. The new director out of the New Jersey office was there to meet a lot of the expats who were abroad as he will be involved in implementing a new expatriate program. It was a good evening of conversation with other expatriates. We were able to gain advice and hear stories from people who were all around Europe.
Friday afternoon and evening we explored Geneva. It isn’t a very big city, only about 180,000 people so you can manage to walk a lot of the area in an afternoon, and at least see most of historic Geneva. We didn’t have the best weather most of the weekend and Friday was no different. It was cool with drizzle on and off. We set out with a couple of Susan’s co-workers who we spent most of the weekend with as they were staying in the same hotel as us. We didn’t really have a plan, we figured we would just start walking and try and stop at the tourist center. After visiting the center we decided on a couple things that we wanted to do. First we wanted to try and catch a “mini train” ride that is a tour of the city and we also wanted to try and find a good fondue restaurant for dinner since the Swiss are famous for cheese and chocolate. We did end up catching our “train” (it is actually motor powered vehicle on wheels that looks like and old train pulling a bunch of passenger cars) and getting an audio guided tour. It is always nice when you can see things and get a quick history lesson at the same time, it makes it more meaningful. Once that was done we somehow found our way to the shopping district… weird how that seems to happen. We didn’t stay too long but did get some real Swiss chocolate and truffles at a little candy store before we continued our city walk. The chocolate was wonderful except for one chocolate covered cherry that was very little cherry and a whole lot of brandy! Needless to say that wakes up your senses when you bite into it!
I then went next door and took a tour of the reformation museum while my entourage waited outside. Unfortunately for me, most of the details were written in French so I couldn’t read the importance of what some of the things were. There were many old Bible’s with written notes in the margins which I thought was amazing. There were many small books that looked like journals from some of the reformers. There was a beautiful stained glass window of the Ten Commandments from 1689. There was just so much history there; I was in Heaven even though I didn’t know exactly what everything was. Needless to say I enjoyed my walk through the Museum.
That was most of our experience of Geneva; we were told that we could do most of the major things in a day so we planned a day trip to Montreaux and Lausanne for Saturday which you’ll hear about tomorrow!
9 comments:
I love reading your posts. Keep them up! Miss you guys.
I agree with Meg, I love to read your travelblog. It is so interesting. My friend Jeff Martinson is eagerly awaiting your European beer section.
Love,
Dad/Doug
PS: Where's the picture of the ducks?
Pictures will be added soon - We are having issues with our internet still so we were at McDonald's trying to post!
Great post...Sounds like you guys are having a great time. Keep the posts comin' and maybe at a quicker pace than the last one! I was starting to get impatient.
Hope you guys have a great weekend and I’ll be looking for a new post while sitting out in the deer stand tomorrow!
Tootles,
Joey!
Hi guys! Thanks for brightening another boring day at work!
Are you going to be putting all of your distances in km now because you're on the the metric system? You should consider putting miles in parentheses. Km is meaningless to me. I'm still stateside.
Just kidding. Love you guys!
Great pictures
I will try and call you next week. We are all set on Skype> I also ordered a calling card. Loved the journal. Love mom
Post a Comment